What if my sewer backs up?
We are on duty seven days a week, 24 hours a day. If you have a backup, call us at 619.667.1450 (during working hours) or call the Police Department's non-emergency number at 619.667.1400 (after hours). We will dispatch a maintenance crew to your address to find out if the stoppage is in the City’s main or your private line (sewer lateral). If the sewer main is found to be clear, it is the responsibility of the property owner to call a licensed plumber or drain cleaning service to correct the problem. The property owner is responsible for maintaining adequate flow to and through the sewer lateral from the property structure to and into the City’s sewer main. If the stoppage is in the City’s main, we’ll clear it as quickly as possible and keep you informed about what is being done.

Show All Answers

1. What if my sewer backs up?
2. What is the location of my private sewer lateral and my property line clean-out?
3. What is the City’s responsibility regarding private sewer laterals?
4. Can you tell me if my property is on sewer or septic?
5. How often is the sewer main line in front of my property rodded?
6. Who is responsible for cleanup as a result of a sewer backup?